Counselling in Sheffield
Counselling is one of the most popular services available at the Sheffield Wellness Centre. When you reach the point of wanting to help address particular thoughts or feelings that have been troubling you, speaking to a counsellor may really help.
Therapy—also known as counselling or psychotherapy—is about you having a space where you can feel comfortable and secure, enabling you to talk about your thoughts and feelings. Painful thoughts can be difficult to handle on your own, but when you work with an experienced professional, there is the potential to feel better both mentally and physically.
When you work with a trained therapist, you have the potential to increase self-awareness and improve your well-being. You may even find that counselling allows you to move forward with your life, seek new pleasurable activities, and transform yourself.
What can counselling help you with?
What types of problems can counselling help?
Sheffield Wellness Centre's professional counsellors provide a range of counselling services to children, teens, adults, families, and couples. The scope of our practice includes, but is not limited to the following speciality areas:
- Work-related stress: Every job involves a certain degree of stress. From difficult bosses and working on tight deadlines, to fulfilling a challenging obligation, these stressors can sometimes be overwhelming. Our counsellors may be able to help you identify any underlying issues and develop ways to cope with these situations.
- Addiction: Individual counselling may help empower you to make changes in addictive behaviours.
- Low self-esteem: When you have low self-esteem, you may view yourself and the world around you negatively. You may feel unhappy and find it hard to cope with challenges when they arise. This condition can lead to depression, anxiety or other emotional or psychological implications. A professional counsellor may use compassion-focused therapy to help you let go of the self-blame that is often the cause of negative thoughts.
- PTSD: If you've been through a traumatic life event such as a serious accident, sexual assault, or combat exposure, talking about how you feel with a therapist may help you feel better. Sheffield Wellness Centre's professionals employ behavioural therapy such as cognitive therapy and exposure therapy to help you face both memories and situations that you find terrifying so that you can learn to cope with them effectively.
- Physical conditions: Apart from being beneficial to those who have been struggling mentally, counselling may also help with a physical health condition that's upsetting, such as work-related injuries that led to disabilities, loss of income, medical expenses or legal battles. Therapy can help you reduce stress that results from physical challenges.
- Eating disorders: Living with bulimia or anorexia is challenging as it can cause serious health consequences and may lead to death if left untreated. Counselling can help such individuals deal with their emotions and come to term with their intense fear of gaining weight.
- Grief or loss: If you've lost someone or something important to you, counselling may help you cope with grief or loss. Sheffield Wellness Centre has therapists who offer spaces in which you can safely share your thoughts and feelings about your bereavement.
- Emotional problems: Counselling can be beneficial if you've been feeling overwhelmed or experiencing strong emotions such as sadness, anger, or hopelessness. Therapy may also help if you're finding no joy in life or struggling to do things you used to do before.
Counselling takes place face-to-face and is confidential between you and the therapist. By talking about issues you're experiencing, you may find that the solution to your problems is right within you. Therefore, counsellors don't generally give advice, and they won't tell you what to do. Instead, they will guide you towards your own answers and solutions.
Not sure where to start?
If you’d like some help choosing a therapy or have an enquiry, please get in touch and we’d be happy to help in your wellness journey.
Frequently asked questions about counselling
On the mind blog
"Wonderful, calm and beautiful."
We are delighted to share our customer reviews and thank you all for supporting our ever-growing family run business in Sheffield.
Are you a health professional looking for a quality location to see your clients from?
Are you looking for a therapy clinic or studio space to rent in Sheffield? In a beautiful, relaxing venue? With very reasonable prices? Or are you a small business owner looking to rent office space? Either way, we can help you.